Low carb Butternut Squash & bacon soup
1. Cut squash in half, remove the seeds and skin. Chop the squash into small cubes. When cubed, spread out in a single layer on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil/avocado oil (your choice) and season and bake for 40mins at 170c fan. They will be soft and gooey when done.
2. Chop onion and garlic. Brown the bacon, chopped onion and garlic in a large saucepan/soup pot.
3. Once the bacon is crispy cut into small pieces and set a quarter aside to garnish the soup.
4. Add the rest back into the pan with the onion and garlic. Add the squash, thyme and the hot stock to the pan. Simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
5. Leave to cool slightly then blend until consistency is as smooth as you desire. Use a hand-held blender or a food processor. If you prefer, before blending remove some of the squash pieces to add back in afterwards.
6. Before serving, heat the soup gently, adding a little boiling water if the soup looks too thick.
For a lower carb coconut milk Butternut Squash soup visit DietDoctor